Friday, July 18, 2008

Hope

Sometimes I take for granted this four letter word. There is such power and inspiration in the choice to hope. There is such freedom in letting go and having faith that things may turn out for the better. I was thinking about this while looking at my flower. You see, after one of my toughest winters ever, I was quite eager for spring, and as soon as it got a wee bit warmer, I bought one of my favorite flowers for the garden. The Black Eyed Susan. It is a beautiful yet humble little flower. It doesn't shout out for attention like a Rose, Dahlia or Peony. It is understated in its beauty. Perhaps that's why I like it so much.

During the spring I would bring it inside at night. One cool night I left it out a little too long and it all but died on me. I had a choice, plant it and see what happens or throw it away. Well, I decided to take a chance on my poor little flower. So I planted it, and had faith and hope that it would survive. Many, many weeks went by where it just looked awful. But I didn't have the heart to throw her away! I kept telling myself, one more week. Well, soon thereafter I saw an encouraging sign...dark green growth...just a little bit...but enough to give me hope. So I left her alone. I weeded around her, but pretty much just let nature take over. I could have added fertilizer or food but, I don't know, a part of me wanted to see how she'd do on her own.

My hope has paid off, she is strong, green and just about to burst forth with her first flowers. I can't wait! I'm so glad I had hope for her. I think we've all been in personal situations where we're either the gardener tending to our most desperate plant; or we're the desperate plant just praying that someone won't throw us away. That someone will love us and encourage us to live and grow stronger. That someone will have faith in us. That someone will hope to see us burst forth in tremendous beauty. Black Eyed Susan in May 2008

Black Eyed Susan in July 2008

2 comments:

MAREBA said...

Ay Tita, you're hilarious!!! Like Ivanna says; issofun..(this is funny):-)
Your kids are adorable and your voice behind the camera sounds like your mom. God Bless You...You know...I'm glad you turned out to be so romantic and passionate about life! I am the same way..the only difference is that I don't share them because I've always felt that I would be laughed at..Congratulations! you have my artistic talents! hehe

Amelia Marks said...

I am inspired by the message you are able to communicate through your plants and your kids. I am going to quote you from now on, I hope that's ok...